Thursday, October 23, 2014

182 - Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort

    A guy inherits a resort in the middle of nowhere, and brings his friends out to look at the property.  The inheritor finds his long-lost extended family.
    I don’t know why I keep watching the Wrong Turn movies.  I don’t think I’ve ever found them interesting… or scary… or funny… or entertaining.
    This one is a step above the last one, which had the hillbillies attacking a town during Halloween (I think.  I have a hard time remembering them).  This is better, and weirder, because it feels like it was a different script that was adapted into the Wrong Turn universe.  It seems like it would be easy to make some alterations to the story, and completely eliminate the hillbillies from the story.  The result is that this plays like a Shining-influenced story, focused on the lead’s spooky relationship with the resort.  The inclusion of the hillbillies seems like an afterthought, incorporated into the story out of desperation.
    There’s one thing that has bothered me more about the Wrong Turn movies over time, and that’s the gore.  I’m all in favor of gore in certain contexts.  When the characters get ripped apart at the end of Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, that’s cathartic.  When minor characters are killed off in these movies, it feels gratuitous.  This shouldn’t bother me, but it does.
    The effects work is a bit cheap.  There are ridiculous bits, like a guy’s stomach exploding after being force-fed water.  What stood out as being terrible was horrible masks that the three hillbillies wear.  These masks have been bothering me for awhile now, but with this movie, there was a sequence in a well-lit room that showed exactly how bad these masks are.  You can see the real skin under the eye holes, and around the mouth.
    There’s a lot of sex in this movie, and none of it is anywhere near erotic.  Was I really expecting anything of this?
    Meh.  I’m sure I’ll forget about the movie in another hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment