Thursday, August 21, 2014

150 - 127 Hours

    A guy goes on a solo wilderness adventure, and winds up getting pinned in a crevasse with his arm caught between a rock and the wall.
    This is the second time I’ve seen this.  The movie is much more interesting to Cathy, and I think I kind of see what she likes about it.
    Danny Boyle directs this, and it’s his least personal movie - at least that I’ve seen.  But I think his distance from it may have helped it transcend some of his weaknesses.  The movie is shot wonderfully.  Boyle keeps pulling tricks out of his hat, which helps keep a fairly straightforward and uneventful narrative from getting dull.
    There’s a lot of material that doesn’t actually contribute much to the story; fantasy or dream sequences in particular.  I find the other little events much more interesting.  He drops a knife, and winds up using a piece of stick (I think) held with his foot, and carefully picking the knife up and bringing it back to his reach.  It’s not a long sequence, but I find that much more engaging than the longer flights of fancy about his inner life.
    The other thing that it calls attention to is how effective Danny Boyle is at selecting music for his movies.  He goes for big, powerful, dynamic pieces that sell a sequence more effectively than a score would.  It’s more effective because he seems to be picking stuff I’ve never heard of.  Maybe it wouldn’t be as powerful if I knew it.

     Looking over Danny Boyle's film credits... somehow, Slumdog Millionaire is my least favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment