Tuesday, August 19, 2014

148 - Scream 3

    More killings start up surrounding the production of Stab 3.
    I’m going to count this as a first viewing, cause I only vaguely remember seeing Heather Matarazzo in this movie.  I’m not even sure if I saw it in theaters, since I didn’t remember anything else at all.
    I know this movie has a terrible reputation, even with fans of the Scream franchise.  Personally though, I found this one much more enjoyable than either of the first two.
    Where the first one was a little tongue-in-cheek, and the second one tried to ramp up all of the elements of the first one, this one actually does something a little different.  This one actually plays like a transition between the Scream franchise and the Scary Movie franchise.  While this doesn’t have the out-and-out satirical focus, this movie makes fun of itself.  It doesn’t name-drop other horror movies as a way of faking taking place in the real world.  The only movies that it mentions are distinctly not horror movies.
    The last act is hilariously slapstick, but it balances it carefully.  From a person looking for more horror violence, it’s an uptick in that.  From a viewer that’s a little more distanced from wanting to see this as a horror movie, it’s comic.  It reminded me a lot of Clue.
    There are a few problems that the movie has.  There are exchanges between characters that seem padded and poorly written.  I don’t know if it’s the writing though, it could just be a problem of the acting or direction.  The movie is way too long.  It’s about two hours, which would be acceptable if the central mystery was engaging.
    (This brings up another unusual issue.  In watching Scream 2, I was focused on figuring out who the killer is.  In this one, it almost seems irrelevant.  When the killer is revealed, I was disappointed that it was someone who had been introduced.  I probably would have been happier if it had been a stranger.)
    While I’m unlikely to watch this again, I’m still happier with this than I expected to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment