Sunday, August 3, 2014

138 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier

    Captain America deals with Hydra having infiltrated Shield.
    I don’t react to this movie on the same emotional level as I do the first movie, but I believe in this movie on a more intellectual level.
    I think that this movie lays plain the core issue that has been a problem since 9/11.  We increasingly reduce our freedoms in the name of security, and I don’t see a way that we can get to a sense of normalcy.  No one in a position of authority is going to choose giving more freedom in exchange for a safety.  There’s no tangible benefit to it.  We have a sense of Cap’s position, but he doesn’t get a chance to defend the position, beyond some general lip service.  In that sense, the movie fails at selling a specific point of view.  It stands with that view, but it doesn’t do much to defend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment