Thursday, December 19, 2013

201 - Tales From the Script

    A documentary about screenwriting.
    Remarkably, this is one of the least-polished documentaries I've seen.  It's mostly a collection of thematically-edited interviews with a variety of screenwriters.  There isn't much to report.  They provide a few anecdotes about working with the Hollywood system, the effects that writing a successful script has on your career, the effects of a bad script, and so on.  It's a bit of a mixed bag, and much of the movie isn't memorable.  The one story that really stood out was a lady who wrote a draft of BloodRayne, which Uwe Boll used.
    What I took away from this is exactly what I expected.  It can be very difficult to write a script.  Everyone tears it apart, and tries to alter it.  A skilled screenwriter can figure out how to address the changes people want to see in a way that keeps the project together.
    I wish there was more to say.  I didn't mind this, and it kept my interest.  But it doesn't really offer anything interesting to anyone other than aspiring screenwriters.

No comments:

Post a Comment