Tuesday, December 3, 2013

188 - Garage Days

    An Australian rock band goes though a variety of trials in an effort to play for an audience, and hopefully impress a label.
    I had googled "movies about garage bands" in an effort to find if anyone had made a movie even vaguely like the one I'm thinking of writing.  This movie sounded like it might be closer to my imagination than other movies.  It was about an untalented band.
    There's a lot of energy in this movie.  It's wildly paced, and rarely takes a breath to slow down.  This madcap approach is both good and bad.  There are enough poor jokes that aren't terribly funny, but there are enough of them that you don't have time to dwell on ones you don't like.  The direction has a comic-book feel to it, as does the script.  While there are some real-life issues in the movie, there are also plenty of things that just get glossed over.
    Advertising this movie as being about a band that lacks talent is a terrible idea.  We don't get a clue about their talent until the very end.
    This is another thing I don't like, but it may be my personal preference.  I hate movies saving all of the music for the ending.  There's a difference between saving a particular song for the ending, and hiding all of the music until the end.
    Rather than just wishing this is the movie I thought it should be, I should be glad that the movie I want to write is still unwritten.
    The characters have lots of problems.  Maybe the singer doesn't.  He's actually pretty in control compared to the rest of them.  This is nice.  Usually the lead in a sitcom is the dull one, surrounded by a bunch of strange characters.  The relative darkness of the other characters makes the level-headedness of the lead much more appealing.
    The biggest problem that I had with the story is that I couldn't identify with it.  I'm not into drugs, and I don't care for people who are.  I'm not overly focused on sex, and I never had the kind of personal relationship problems that this cast had.  What I could identify with was the love of music, which only came out in the last minute or so.
    Still, it's a fun movie, a bit strange, but fun nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment