Sunday, August 25, 2013

123 - Apocalypse Now

    An army captain is sent on a mission to kill a renegade colonel during the Vietnam War.
    Another classic that I've never seen.  I'm pleased to have seen it, since it is remarkably well shot, and something about it rings very realistic, even as the events seem a little unbelievable.
    The scope of the picture is massive.  Big, wide shots, and lots of people.  And yet, it never feels like everyone is just an extra.
    It's a really dark movie.  I usually distance myself from characters in war movies, but this is a unique case.  I don't identify with anyone, except possibly Sheen's lead, but that's because I think he's aware of the insanity around him.  It's hard to identify with anyone else, since almost everyone in the movie is crazy in some way.
    Brando's Kurtz is almost a red herring.  He gives structure to the movie, but Sheen's confrontation with him seems to be almost irrelevant in the face of the way everything else runs.
    (Not to mention that I've never cared for Brando.)

No comments:

Post a Comment