Tuesday, August 6, 2013

113 - Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film

    Documentary focusing on specifically American trends in horror movies.
    Not as interesting, nor as in-depth as that horror documentary hosted by Mark Gatiss, but still a bit interesting for the focus on American work.
    When I watch these things, I invariably start thinking about my own relationship to horror.  I don't think I'm unique in this regard either, but I have a very low tolerance for real-life horrible situations.  I don't handle conflict well, and I really feel strongly in favor of preventing crime.  Yet, I find horror movies entirely compelling.  I don't try to live vicariously through them.  Most of the time, I don't wish to prove myself in the same situation.
    I think horror situations bring out both the best and the worst in people, and part of it depends your inclination.  I have a protective bent when I think about these things.  While I wouldn't have much of a desire to fight the enemy, I would be interested in saving others, and getting them to safety.  There's only one exception to this, and that's the zombie scenario.  I would still be interested in helping others, but I think I would be less willing to sacrifice myself to that end.
    This is getting off topic.

    The main idea that this hammered home was the parallel between historical events, how that affected the national consciousness, and how that was reflected in the horror trends.  Most of these are pretty obvious.  Fears of assimilation, fears of atomic-age stuff, movements toward and away from the everyday horrors.
    Actually, this is reminding me of Parents.  I really wish some of these horror resources would give that one some credit.
    Nothing too interesting to see here.  A decent time-filler, but I don't think any of the observations stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment