Wednesday, December 26, 2012

182 - Love Actually

     A collection of characters are involved in a variety of love stories, exploring a wide range of situations.
A very difficult movie to summarize. I think this is either the third or fourth time I've seen it, and I still have a hard time explaining how the movie works. I could explain a particular characters story, but the sum is greater than the pieces.
     I have one particular favorite moment in this movie, and it's when the American president is stood up to. We never learn anything in particular about what the issue is, but there is something appealing about the situation. I think I like it in a patriotic way. Moreso than the idea that the scene develops his romance.
     I wonder what I would have thought of this movie when I was younger.  I'm sure I would have identified with different characters.  While I currently like Hugh Grant's Prime Minister, if I were in college or high school, I probably would identify with the guy who longs for his recently-married friend's wife.
      This is a very good movie, but I still have a big problem with the big ending All I Want for Christmas is You.  It's not just the tasteless singing, it's the level of production.  Within the context of the movie, it doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment