Sunday, December 16, 2012

178 - The Prestige


    The rivalry between two magicians around the 1900s escalates, and centers around a trick called The Transported Man.
    I don't think I fully appreciated this the first time I saw it.  But this time through, I grasped most of it.  Like a lot of Nolan's work, he likes to jump around in time.  He flashes back to prior occurrences to tie themes together.  There are lots of themes at work in the movie, and almost everything in it moves in parallel stories.  Most of the story seems to be built on an eye for an eye, but it doesn't actually play out exactly the way we see it.
    By the time the ending comes along, it seems like there isn't a way for things to end well.  And that's sort of true.  It's a bleak movie.
    I have a hard time writing about it.  It's a complicated movie, and it's hard to talk about without giving too much away.

No comments:

Post a Comment