Sunday, February 12, 2012

44 - Alien³

    I had a general knowledge of the plot of this one, as well as key developments.  But I could never remember watching the whole thing.

    Ripley, still asleep after Aliens, winds up stranded at a prison colony on a planet that seems to be otherwise deserted.  An alien begins stalking the prisoners, and Ripley takes charge to help them deal with it.

    I was struck by how dated many of the effects shots looked.  I know that some of the shots in Aliens haven't aged well, and Alien has some shortcuts.  But this movie looked great… except for the shots using a CGI alien.  There's another problem, but it's hard to explain.  The movie doesn't feel like it has that much tension to it.  I'm not sure why that is.

    There are a lot of complaints about how it undoes the happy ending of Aliens, but it never occurred to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment