Friday, May 8, 2015

68 - Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

    A documentary about Big Star, a short-lived, but very influential, band.
    I discovered Big Star over the last year or so, and it’s hard to explain how important they feel.
    Most music requires a certain amount of time for me to fully appreciate it.  I have to get used to hearing certain chord changes, certain vocal approaches.  Most of my favorite songs aren’t things that I fully loved when I first heard them.  They had to work their way into that position.  Big Star fits into a completely different category.  I don’t even know if I’ve completed listening to any of their albums.  But everything I’ve heard is incredible.
    It’s almost like I want to avoid listening to it, because they have a mystical characteristic to their music.
    This is a decent documentary, but it isn’t that great.  It might be that it was put together too late, since a lot of time is filled with very tangential players.
    The one thing that I got out of this was that I don’t actually care for Alex Chilton that much.  I think he had a role to play, but his disinterest with Big Star seems like a lack of self-reflection.  It’s hard to fault Chris Bell, but that may be because he died in 1977.  He didn’t have much time to mess up.
    Still, not a very great documentary.  But it’s nice to see Big Star getting more recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment