Thursday, April 9, 2015

54 - A Good Marriage

    After 25 years of marriage, a wife discovers that her husband is a serial killer behind about a dozen murders.
    I’ve read the story, and I liked it.  It’s Stephen King, and it’s a pretty hefty story for fairly little plot.  But it’s interesting.  And it got me interested in the story that inspired it, the BTK Killer, which I learned a good amount about last year.
    I was glad to see that Netflix picked this movie up, but I’ve put off watching it.  As much as I like the premise, I could tell it wasn’t going to be an exciting movie.  And I was right.  It follows the source material pretty faithfully, and it does a good job of it.  The performances are generally good.  But there wasn’t a way to turn this into a normal horror movie without creating new material, and that new material would have gone against the feel of the rest of it.
    The story isn’t so much about her discovery as it is about her dilemma of what to do about it.  He clarifies that he would never harm her.  She’s free to turn him in.  But she has to weigh the effects that it would have on the family.
    There are a few changes that the movie makes, mostly in condensing the series of events.  The book takes place over several months.  The movie seems to take place over a few weeks.  The book includes some material about his marriage acting to suppress his urge to kill.  The movie eliminates that.  This is a surprise, since King wrote the script himself.

    It’s a good story, but it isn’t the right material for a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment