Friday, June 28, 2013

93 - Safe


    Jason Statham is a former cop who has run afoul of the Russian mob.  There's a young asian girl who is used by the Chinese mob to courier numbers in a more secure way.  When the Russian try to kill the girl, Statham gets involved in protecting her, which leads him into conflict with the Russians, the Chinese, and a group of crooked cops.
    I was pleased with this one.  I like Statham.  What made this movie stand out was the complexity of the plot.  It's easy to point out how unlikely most of the premise is, (the AV Club was remarkably picky about this) but I found the more important aspect was how hard it is to think of a way for Statham to get out each situation.
    When the story first picked up, I expected something a little softer.  The fact that one of the main characters is a girl who is about 11 years old would imply that the action would be a little more tame.  Since we know how ruthless the mob she's being used by is, I expected that Statham's character would be a little more merciful.  Instead, he's brutal.  While he doesn't linger on his actions, he does kill more people than I anticipated.
    The action is a little unusual.  The direction is good.  It allows you to understand exactly what happens.  But the direction isn't flashy at all, and the choreography isn't over-the-top either.  This is a little unusual for a modern movie.
    I'm not sure if I would return to this one, but I was pleased, especially since it was available on Netflix streaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment