Sunday, June 16, 2013

89 - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, part 1

    It's been about ten years since Batman was last seen.  He's roughly 70 years old, as well as Commissioner Gordon (I think they're around the same age, who knows).  A large gang called the Mutants has been terrorizing Gotham, and Batman comes out of retirement to deal with them.    I like this story.  I've read the comic, and I remember liking the atmosphere of it.  The future version of Gotham is not exactly darker, but it seems more dangerous, in an unpredictable way.  Seeing the story played out is a little different.  One of the weaknesses that the story has is the villain.  The leader of the Mutants would be a decent mini-boss, but he's just not that interesting.
    Where the story does a good job is with the ending.  It isn't clear that it will end the way it does, but it feels cathartic, like Batman's overall mission has been accomplished.

    While I liked Robin in the comic, here, she seems a little more annoying than I expected.

    The animation is decent, and the character designs are appropriate, although they're still cutting corners more than I would like.  I suppose there isn't much I can expect from straight-to-video releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment