Thursday, June 13, 2013

86 - Amadeus

    Salieri is disgusted that God would use Mozart as his instrument for music, so he works on a large, circuitous plan to ruin, and destroy Mozart.
    Man, I watch this movie every now and then (last year, probably) and it still keeps a sense of excitement, even though I know what happens in each scene.  The performances are perfect.  They're simple enough to easily understand, but also complex enough to be rewarding on multiple viewings.
    Oddly, I don't come out of the movie liking Mozart's music any more than I normally would.  I still like some of his melodies, but I find a remarkable amount of it to be overdone.  Loads of arpeggios, swelling strings and so forth.  It's fun, but it gets weary.
    What's remarkable is how well drawn many of the ancillary characters are.  Jeffrey Jones steals every scene he's in, but his court is fantastic.  For characters with so few lines, those characters are clearly defined.
    This time, I show Cathy the movie.  She had a poor impression of it from when she was younger, and I understand.  I think the first time I saw part of it, it seemed really dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment