Monday, May 27, 2013

75 - Star Trek

    The destruction of Romulus in the future causes a Romulan to travel back in time.  His actions split the Star Trek continuity.  Kirk joins Starfleet, and meets the crew of the Enterprise.  He deals with the time-traveling villain.
    I'm not sure how many times I've seen this, but it's a remarkable feat of a movie.  With the original series, it took a long time to develop a lot of goodwill between fans and the characters.  In this case, the movie effectively defines the characters, and makes us like them, and reminds us of what we liked about their original incarnation.
    There are a few weaknesses that persist.  I still don't like the stuff with Kirk being marooned.  The lens flares are an interesting element.  Sometimes, I really like them, and feel like they make it seem a little more natural.  Once I start paying attention to them, I feel like they're happening way too much.
    I still admire this script quite a bit.  It was a marvelous way of re-inventing the Star Trek universe while still accommodating all of the Trek purists.

No comments:

Post a Comment