Saturday, May 11, 2013

70 - The Game

    A very regimented investment banker is given a gift certificate to Consumer Recreation Services, which provides a tailored game to each client.  The banker's life falls into turmoil as he deals with the game, and the company behind it.
    I saw this in theaters, and I remember liking it.  I saw it a few times since then, but it's been several years since I last saw it.  Criterion got the rights to distribute it, so this is finally a good transfer.
    I think I like it a bit more than I used to.  Some people couldn't accept the ending, and thus they feel like the whole movie is worthless.  I never felt like the ending was a problem.  In fact, this time through, the ending felt better than it ever has.
    The relationships stood out a little more.  And while I've often described the movie as being nightmarish, this time, it seemed even more potent than I remembered.  I usually latch onto how terrible it would be to wake up in Mexico.  But there are plenty of scenes prior to that part that are just as terrifying.
    As I had said, the relationships stood out more.  It was a little more clear how much the experience has made Van Orton appreciate his brother, his ex-wife, even his deceased father, and his maid.  Some of these are tiny things, but they contribute a character that clearly develops over the course of the picture.
    Also, Michael Douglas is absolutely perfect in this movie.  There is no other person who could have pulled off the role in exactly the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment