Thursday, May 9, 2013

67 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

    Indiana Jones finds that his father has gone missing while on a trip to search for the holy grail.  After following him, Indiana finds himself competing with the Nazis, and working with his father to get to the grail before them.
    When this came out in theaters, one of my brothers worked at a theater in Shrewsbury.  As a result, I saw this movie nine times in theaters.  So, of course, I knew is backward and forward.  I also watched it on VHS many times.  I think by the time I reached high school, I had little interest in seeing it again.  Since then, I've probably pulled it out about three times.
    I still like it, but not in the same way.  Many of the jokes have lost their humor to me.  I still recognize them as jokes, but they're kind of dull.  I find Elsa to be a remarkably dull character.  Vogel is a little more worthwhile, at least as a stereotype.  While these things are weaknesses, they don't detract from the movie that much.  The focus of the movie is on Indiana and his relationship with his father.  Villainy is just a distraction.  Every important passage of the movie plays around their relationship.  The catharsis of the ending doesn't come with Indy finding the grail - it comes with his father calling him Indiana.
    On a technical note, I've gotten more annoyed with how poor the effects in this movie are.  The tank falling off the cliff, bouncing around.  Vogel's screaming face.  The weird, CGI-ish appearance of the blades near the first challenge.  The third challenge has a seriously strange effect.  When Indy is standing on the bridge, and the camera moves, Indy looks like he's moving around - like he was green screened on a surface that had more give, then they put him on solid rock.  However, to be fair, I still think that Donovan's death has some pretty good effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment