Saturday, August 18, 2012

130 - High Fidelity

    The romantic coming-of-adulthood for a record shop owner.
    I had never considered how strange this movie is to summarize.  I suppose it could count as a romance, but I think the romantic angle is overcome by his personal examinations.  Maybe I could just say that this is a romantic comedy for guys.
    I got heavily into this movie during college.  The wit of Nick Hornsby's book translates very well to the screen, and Cusack turns in a flawless performance for the part.  When I say that this is a movie for guys, I mean that it resonates very well with males.  Something about the language, and the frustration that Cusack shows is very meaningful.
    The comedic aspects of this haven't aged too well for me.  I still enjoy Dick, the quiet clerk, but Jack Black is just a little further over the top than I'd like.  I still like some of his bits, but his first scene seems to be trying a little too hard.
    I don't know how often I'll revisit this.  It had already been several years since last time, but I still have this soft spot for it.  I think this will continue to be important to lots of romantically conflicted guys in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment