Friday, August 17, 2012

129 - Bereavement

    A girl goes to live with some relatives in a rural area.  She runs into a serial killer who lives nearby, and has been raising a young boy to follow in his footsteps.
    This started out pretty predictable, but by the last half hour, it gets darker than expected.
    To be honest, it was actually a little too dark for me.  It's a bleak ending, with the young boy picking up the mantle of the killer, and finishing off several victims.
    After doing a little bit of reading, it turns out that this is a prequel to a different movie, Malevolence, which I haven't seen.  This makes a bit more sense, because I suppose an origin would make this dark ending feel satisfying.
    I'm not too picky about gore, but I actually felt like it was a bit gratuitous here.  Most of the time, it wasn't anything that surprised me.  But then once the female lead dies, there seems to be a lot of blood, and the stabbing goes on longer than feels right.
    It's hard to tell how I felt about this.  I suppose it was more memorable than many of the horror movies I see, but I don't think I can say that I was a fan.

    Another small thing - I don't think the title was right.  The only reason I can think that this title makes sense is that the main character has just come out of her parents dying.  This isn't much of a plot point though.
    Also, how was this serial killer staying uncaught?  He's really sloppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment