Monday, July 16, 2012

108 - Batman Begins

    After his parents are killed in a mugging, young Bruce Wayne travels the world, trying to understand the criminal element in order to fight it.  After some training, he returns to Gotham with a plan to rid the city of organized crime.
    There's plenty more to the plot.  It's a pretty dense movie.  Christopher Nolan makes quite a bit out of the 2:20 running time, cramming a lot of work into a short time by telling the story out of sequence.  This is something he really enjoys doing - giving the audience just exactly what information they need as it becomes necessary.
    Like many Nolan movies, I don't like them as much on the first viewing.  It takes a few viewings before I realize exactly how much I like them.  In this case, I had a serious reservation about Batman causing as much damage as he does to the city when he runs from the police in the Tumbler.  At least Alfred bugs him about that as well.
    There's another really minor complaint.  It's a single line.  It's Jim Gordon saying "I've got to get me one of those."  It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

    I don't know what my ideal Batman movie would be.  I feel like every movie has let me down in some way.  I was crazy about Tim Burton's Batman, but now when I see it, I realize how flawed it is.  The pacing was strange, Gotham felt like it was mostly deserted most of the time.
    Even though Nolan's movies are spectacular, and Dark Knight was nearly perfect, the complexities of the plots are a little annoying.  They get in the way of seeing villains being more fully realized.  Scarecrow is a pawn in this movie, but he never gets as much of an opportunity to shine as he should.
    Cathy pointed out something that hadn't occurred to me; both Batman and Scarecrow aim to control people through fear.  This idea never seems to be explored as fully as it should be.  I don't know if I would expect that in a movie, but I don't even know if that shows up in comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment