Sunday, July 8, 2012

106 - Timecrimes

    A man and his wife move into a new house.  As they're still unpacking, a series of strange events lead the man into a time machine nearby.  He has to deal with the other copy of himself.  I'm sorry, I just can't summarize beyond that.
    Back when I first saw Triangle, I saw that a lot of reviews for it were claiming that it was a ripoff of this movie.  Now that I've seen it, I can safely say that if it is, Triangle surpassed this one by a massive amount.
    To begin, while the version I've watched offered an English-dubbed track, the voice acting is laughable.  I was curious if the original audio track would have better acting, but I'm not about to go back and check.
    Second, while the premise was actually decent, everything in the script is written around it.  The main character doesn't try to undo the loop - he performs actions in order to reinforce the sequence of events.  He seems sort of… dumb.  He does things, especially after the first half hour, that are so mind-blowingly dumb that it hurts the credibility of the movie.
    When the movie ends, he comes across as finally having grasped the idea that he's been doing some time travel, but he kills someone in the process.  This makes the ending feel very unsatisfying, especially because his entire problem could have been solved by simply talking to himself.  Or, if he felt like that wasn't safe, he could have left a note for himself.  Or even just talked to the third party that walks him through the movie.
    I had some problems with Primer, but that was because the movie was so complicated, and the cast looked too similar.
    Triangle works because we feel for the lead's frustration in her situation - and we learn why she does things the way she does them.  And she's willing to try changing her approach in order to seek out a new ending.  This movie is about embracing the inevitable.  Not too inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment