Wednesday, July 4, 2012

103 - The Bourne Ultimatum

    Bourne returns, this time, he's starts by finding a reporter who has written an article on Blackbriar.  When Bourne finds the reporter, he finds that the reporter is now a target, because the agency assumes that Bourne is the informant.  Bourne tries to follow after the original source, but ends up in New York, facing down the agency, and the creators of his program.
    This time, I didn't feel as passionately positive about it.  I still really enjoyed it, and I think Bourne is fantastically clever in this one.  The weakness is in Bourne's motivation.  I'd like it if he were a little more provoked to action.
    The part of the story that stands up very well is the handling of Pamela Landy/Noah Vossen.  We see her competence, we see his weaknesses, but we also see how much authority he has, and his willingness to abuse his power.  He acts without thinking too hard about things.  He underestimates Bourne, but constantly thinks he's outsmarting him.
    It's the conflict between those characters that's more satisfying.  I don't actually care too much about Bourne discovering the place where he was turned from David Webb to Jason Bourne, but I did find it very pleasing to see Landy faxing the papers.
    By the end of the movie, I think I feel like The Bourne Identity is the clear winner of the three.  But both Supremacy and Ultimatum have strong benefits, and I love returning to each of these movies periodically.  Even if I don't care for the shaky-cam work.

No comments:

Post a Comment