Friday, May 30, 2014

90 - Pompeii

    A gladiator and a royal daughter fall in love, set against the destruction of Pompeii.
    I wasn’t expecting much, and I got about as much as I expected.  This is directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, who also directed some of the Resident Evil movies.  The best thing he’s handled was Event Horizon.  This movie feels like one of the Resident Evil movies.  The effects are similar, the action is similar, some of the direction is similar.  It’s silly stuff.  Highly stylized, some of it very glossy, but also very cheap looking.
    The story is actually pretty dumb.  A standard romance, one that was reminding me of Titanic for some reason.  Making a story around the destruction of Pompeii might have been better served by a political story; or maybe a slice-of-life exploration of a handful of stories resulting in existing statues in the town.  By turning it into a romance, there’s less tension in the story than there should be.  We know that they’re going to die - the movie starts off with their statues - so why should we care?
    The combat is silly, especially the use of the chain in the arena.  Seemed awfully long!
    I don’t know if I’d recommend the movie to anyone in particular.  But I suppose it’s distracting enough.
    One other thing.  The movie seriously exaggerates what happens with the eruption.  Massive flaming boulders raining on the town?  Huge destruction?  Portions of the land sinking into the sea?  None of it is accurate.  I don’t even have specialized knowledge of volcanoes or Pompeii, and I could tell it was way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment