Monday, April 7, 2014

66 - Stage Fright

    A musical theater camp plans on putting on a production of The Haunting of the Opera.  Their cast is terrorized by a slasher stalking the camp.
    I’m really conflicted about this.  As it started, I liked it a lot.  The setup was perfunctory, but the opening musical number was great.  It was actually making me think of Wet Hot American Summer, which is a good sign.  After that, things calm down a bit.  The humor is much more in the stereotypes of how theater people compete with each other.  I think this is a pretty rich vein for humor, but the movie struggles with finding the right tone.
    It reaches a tipping point during the third act.  At a certain point, it moves into straight-slasher territory.  I wouldn’t mind this if it were balanced out a little better, but somehow, I just can’t get behind how this was handled.  I guess the issue might be that I came to like the movie for the comedic aspects, and the switch to horror seemed so complete that it’s hard to feel anything but betrayed.  You don’t end with the movie you started with.
    But I can’t recommend the opening musical number enough.  It’s just the right mix of musical theater and camp, and summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment