Thursday, April 3, 2014

62 - See No Evil, Hear No Evil

    A blind man and a deaf man witness a murder, and try to catch the real killer while being wrongfully accused by the police.
    Historically, my only knowledge of this movie comes from when I was very young, and there was a birthday party sleepover.  The host’s father rented this movie, and was encouraging us to watch it.
    It’s a little funny, in retrospect.  At that time, I was heavily into The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which was really unusual for that time period.  No one had any interest in Rocky Horror at this party, and they didn’t care about this movie either.  And yet, this movie would have been much more risqué for our young minds.  It’s rated R.  There’s nudity, a fair amount of cursing, a good amount of raunchy humor.  It’s entirely inappropriate for kids.  This isn’t to say that Rocky Horror would be cleaner, but Rocky Horror is bizarre, and it doesn’t make sense to kids.
    Anyway, the movie is really much more fun than I expected.  I would like to think that I have a healthy relationship with disabilities, since my mom is blind, but I never felt like this movie made fun of the characters for their disabilities; there are very few gags that felt forced.  Most of the situations only required third parties to treat them with contempt.
    Gene Wilder is excellent, as usual.  I don’t care for Richard Pryor as much.  He seems to be pushing the role into broader ground, but he still has some great lines.
    There’s one weakness, and it’s that the movie needs a tiny bit of trimming.  I can’t point to the specific point though.
    It’s great to see Alan North again.  He’s great.

No comments:

Post a Comment