Friday, September 20, 2013

142 - Hell

    In the near future, solar flares have resulted in the temperature going up ten degrees Celsius.  Society has broken down.  A pair of sisters attempt to travel North with a pair of men.
    I'm a little conflicted.  Sometimes, I liked the job that was done with establishing the scenario.  There were some nice locations used, and some of the touches were pretty good.  Then, there would be other points at which I felt like this was just repeating the same atmosphere I've seen in plenty of other movies.  To be honest, I'm guilty of them myself!  Now and then, I think about writing a script, and I work a little on outlining it.  I realize that I'm doing scenes I've seen plenty of times before, but it doesn't really bother me.  So why should I be bothered when I see someone else doing the same thing?
    The story is pretty minimal, and fairly predictable.  One of the girls is kidnapped.  The other girl goes through a plan to rescue her.  They beat the evil family.
    I think there's one main weakness to the story, and it's that the overall situation - the raised temperature - has less and less significance as the story goes on.  By the time we reach the last act, there's no reason why it couldn't just be something as trivial as being in the middle of nowhere.
    Otherwise, the direction is unremarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment