Thursday, July 18, 2013

105 - Bloody Birthday

    A trio of kids, born during the same eclipse, celebrate their birthday weekend by going on a murder spree.
    I read something a long time ago that was posted on the AV Club about this movie.  While it sounded like my kind of movie, I didn't search it out.  I happened across it on Netflix, and the title and summary sounded like fun.
    It's a bit silly, but still fun.  There isn't much motivation given for why the children kill.  We get a little bit of an explanation, mostly just that because they were born during the eclipse, Saturn was obscured, so somehow they should be missing a part of their personality.  This isn't a satisfying explanation.  The murders are actually handled pretty well.  I've seen plenty of "evil children" movies, and most of them are darker than this.  When I watched this, there was still a strange sense of happiness to it.  I'm not sure why.
    There are a few noteworthy cast choices.  We get to see a youngish Julie Brown dancing around topless as she gets changed.  One of the evil kids is played by Billy Jayne, who I know I as Mikey on Parker Lewis.  He's wearing glasses in this, which reminds me a lot of Christian Slater in Twisted.  Man, that one's obscure.
    One thing that makes this movie especially funny is how breakneck the pace is.  After class, the kids mention to their teacher that their birthday party is next Monday.  After coming home from school, the kids kill off one of their parents.  Then we're at the funeral for him.  Then we still have a few more days before their birthday.  This wouldn't be much of an issue, except that I thought the story was starting on a Friday.  Nevermind - this is trivial.
    This isn't quite as creepy as The Children, but it was still fun.  Maybe a little closer to the level of creepiness of The Bad Seed, where most of the violence is implied.

No comments:

Post a Comment