Monday, July 15, 2013

104 - The Transporter

    A man who works as a courier for a variety of shady characters winds up running afoul of a client when the client uses him to transport a girl.
    I saw this last year, I think, and this time, I showed it to Cathy.  This is a very unusual action movie.  It starts out with a fun driving chase, which seems to be reasonably serious.  The action keeps on getting a little more silly each time through.  By the time we reach the last twenty minutes, it's much more funny.
    Besides the opening chase, there's one scene in particular that I latch onto.  There's an oil fight.  In a garage, Statham fights a handful of henchmen, and this involves tipping over a few oil troughs.  There's something so hilarious about this.
    One of the other touches I noticed was about the way that Statham moves when he's in an action sequence.  He has this robotic look to him, but it may be a way of trying to make it look like his movements are especially precise.
    I've also read up on Statham in the meantime, and found that he did his own stunts for this one.  I like that.  Part of the thrill of Jackie Chan's pictures is the knowledge of the effort that went into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment