Thursday, November 29, 2012

173 - Wet Hot American Summer

    The last day of the Summer at Camp Firewood, in 1981.  There are romances, action, personal development, musical numbers, and Skylab falling on the camp.  It defies a traditional summary.
    I have no idea how many times I've watched this.  I remember that when I first saw it, I didn't have the same enthusiasm for it that I now have.  It was a confusing movie at first.  It was surreal, but I didn't always get the joke in the same way.  And the jokes sometimes move into really strange areas.  There's a gay romance that seems to come out of nowhere.  Some of the scenes - like Coop and Katie by the stable - seem unusually long.
    But as I got used to the movie, I found that it's like a lot of my favorite comedies.  The performances are great.  The direction is just strange enough to keep my interest.  And the script is weird, but very memorable.
    It's a bit annoying that the movie isn't available on Blu-ray.  According to the wiki article on it, David Wain has tried to get Universal to release it, but they aren't interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment