Sunday, November 11, 2012

162 - Skyfall

    A hard drive containing a list of all field agents has fallen into the wrong hands.  Bond has been shot, and is presumed dead.  An explosion puts MI6's headquarters at risk.  Bond reappears to go back to work, to hopefully put things back in place.  The villain is an ex-agent who is going after M.
    I had read plenty of good reviews.  I was actually pretty excited to see this.  And it lived up to my expectations.  I still have a few complaints, but they are things that will probably go away with repeated viewings.
    The action is excellent.  The opening chase and fight is perfectly executed.  Every step of the sequence ramps up the tension wonderfully.  And it's shot well!  I never felt confused about what was happening.  Bond isn't on his own, either.  He works co-operatively very well.
    I didn't care for Adele's theme.  I don't like her voice very much.  But the credit sequence was very interesting, and had darker imagery than I'm used to.
    The themes of the movie are laid out in clever ways.  Bond's relationship with his parents, his childhood.  His relationship with MI6, and his relationship with M in particular.  The entire organization's relationship with England as a whole.
    Bond is a little closer to the traditional Bond model here, since he's more of a smooth operator, seducing several women over the course of the picture.  But he's a little more distant in his relationship with them.  When one of them is shot, he never seems to dwell on it.
    The sequences of the movie all feel very disconnected.  There is a plot that ties everything together, but when Bond is fighting a guy on a tower in Shanghai, there are lots of neon lights and things swirling around.  It's nothing like any of the other parts of the movie.
    I actually liked the last act of the movie quite a bit.  It reminded me a little of the farm in the first Bourne, in that it isn't a massive showdown, but it feels like… a home invasion battle.
    I'm very happy with this movie, and I look forward to seeing it a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment