Sunday, June 10, 2012

92 - Three Amigos

    Three silent-era movie stars answer a distress telegram from Mexico, and wind up inadvertently facing off against a real outlaw and his gang.

    I'm a pretty huge fan of Steve Martin, but I never had any interest in seeing this one.  I didn't even know what the premise was.  I knew that it was a fairly popular comedy when it came out.
    I'm happy to say that Steve Martin did fine.  Chevy Chase did too, and Martin Short.  In fact, everyone did a great job.  But the problem was that the script just wasn't strong enough.  It's got some great gags, and a good number of pleasantly amusing sequences.  But it seems very timid, a neutered kind of humor.  And the laughs don't come as steadily as they should.  The western feel of the movie kept making me think of Blazing Saddles, except it wasn't nearly as risqué as that one is.

    That isn't to say that it isn't fun.  It's entirely worth watching.  I have one technical complaint.  During certain sequences, the camera has a slight panning to it.  The frame is supposed to be steady, but the camera slowly moves left and right, just a tiny bit.  I tried to find information about if this was intentional online, but I couldn't find anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment