Thursday, May 31, 2012

88 - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

    The IMF team finds itself without support, and trying to prevent a war resulting from a bombing of the Kremlin.

    I had such mixed feelings about M:I 3.  I was really enthusiastic about certain sequences, but then I was a little annoyed about some of the others.  Then with this one, I didn't have quite the same sense of enthusiasm, but I pretty solidly enjoyed it.
    There's a stronger M:I feel to many of the sequences, even if they don't end up playing out perfectly.  Something always goes wrong.  Their infiltration of the Kremlin is handled wonderfully, with some excellent gadgetry, combined with a certain amount of manipulation.  They actually pull off this sequence in perfect M:I style, exiting without being noticed.  Then Cruise gets captured after he gets out.
    There's another sequence, where the team attempts to pull off two simultaneous meetings, making each party think they're meeting with the other party.  This was an excellent sequence, but it was hurt by making both of the meetings fall apart at the last minute.  They would have still had some work to do if that step had gone flawlessly, so it seemed to just be an excuse to run an action sequence.
    There are plenty of things that I did like - I enjoyed the sandstorm, the briefcase printer…. Simon Pegg was excellent.

    There were a few things I didn't care for.  The entire subplot dealing with Cruise's wife from the 3rd movie.  And it was strange to see Vhing Rhames show up for a cameo at the end.

    And one trivial note; Tom Cruise looks much more aged in this movie than he does elsewhere.  The lines on his face are more distinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment