Tuesday, May 15, 2012

79 - Truth or Dare

    In perusing IMDB's horror tag, I found this one.  I hadn't heard of it.  Of course, it sounded like my sort of thing, and I gave it a watch.

    The popular teen party game is now a horror movie!

    A variety of guests are called to a party in an effort to reveal who should be held responsible for the suicide of a mutual acquaintance.  After writing that sentence, I immediately thought this should be a gothic, slow-moving, accusation-based drama.
    It's good, but it's also something I have a hard time coming up with too many thoughts on.  The horror, and the tension of it, are not too strong.  But the story is compelling.  I found myself more curious about how things would play out, and what would be revealed, rather than who would die.
    It turns into a captivity drama, with the captor questioning the captives and trying to get them to inform on each other.  It's hard to feel bad for the victims, since they've all been established as pretty bad people.
    This is a UK production, and the accents can be a little puzzling to my ear, but I got used to it pretty quickly.  But I also wonder how much this story had to do with class issues in the UK.  That seems like an idea that would be universal, but it's hard to tell if there was something unique that I wasn't getting.

    To be honest, even though I liked it, I found the ending a little confusing.  I had to read some comments to ensure that I understood it properly.  I probably should have watched it a little more closely.

    Nearly no gore, but a fair amount of blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment