Friday, May 4, 2012

71 - Kick-Ass

    Kick-Ass deals with the reality of what it would involve to be a superhero.  There are a lot of issues being explored in this story, and it pushes certain storytelling boundaries that tend to make some people uncomfortable.
    I should clarify that.  It does make me uncomfortable as well, but not in the same ways as some viewers do.

    I have no problem at all with the character of Hit-Girl.  I think she's wildly implausible, but that's part of the point.  Her dialogue, her violence, violence against her, it's all entirely fine.  This is intended to be contrasted to the dialogue and violence with Kick-Ass.
    I felt myself getting a bit teary when Kick-Ass first successfully fights the thugs beating the guy in front of the convenience store.  He doesn't really win, but it feels like a Rocky moment, of the underdog refusing to give up.
    There were two things that I didn't care for.  During the ending, in the last 10 minutes, Kick-Ass is responsible for a few deaths (I think three of them).  He never seems to acknowledge them, or feel surprise at his ability to have killed.  The other thing I didn't care for was the amount of rock music in the score.  They did transplant a very Batman-like theme into the movie, but it was overshadowed by the electric work.

    Also, this Blu-ray is unpredictable.  The clarity is fantastic during several sections.  Then some shots have a huge amount of grain.
    As I revisit this movie, my feelings about it will evolve.  I wonder if they'll make a sequel.  The second series of comics would be much more difficult to film.  But even this one was a triumph over the ratings board.

No comments:

Post a Comment