Wednesday, September 3, 2014

157 - Sky High

    The son of a pair of superheroes starts at a high school intended for super-powered people who want to be heroes.
    I had an idea for a movie, which is vaguely similar, but not quite the same as this.  In my research to find if there was anything similar, I found that this movie existed.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to see it, or if I should avoid it.
    It’s actually pretty good.  It’s aimed at kids, and that hurts it a little.  But there’s a thick layer of comic sensibility coating the whole thing, which helps.  When a movie doesn’t take itself too seriously, that goes a long way to making it easier to accept weaknesses.
    The plot is largely forgettable.  It’s usual high-school drama fare.  There’s just a swirl of superpower set pieces mixed in.  Most of these are small things, which make for nice gags.  Now that I’ve finished the movie, I realized that I felt like the powers were actually irrelevant to the story.
    One of the little things that made Heavyweights work pretty well was that the central villain of it was focused on fat-shaming the kids.  The exploration of the issues that go along with weight lend a little depth to that story.  In this, there’s no real exploration of the importance of using powers responsibly.  When a character throws fireballs around, it’s kind of terrible that the danger of that isn’t explored.
    I’m also disappointed to see so few clever powers.  I know it’s really difficult to come up with powers, but it’s really disappointing to see them copying Multiple Man’s powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment