Sunday, September 16, 2012

141 - The Transporter

    Jason Statham stars as an underworld courier, who follows strict rules in his service.  One of his clients has him transport a live person in a bag.  This starts him on an action-packed adventure.
    I liked Crank a lot.  I wasn't sure what to anticipate with this one.  For some reason, I thought that the movie involved a teleportation device.  I'm not sure where I got that impression from.
    But I'm glad to say - this movie is a lot of fun.  The action is similar to Crank, just not as humor driven.  It still reaches those pitches of being laughable though.  There's still a clear effort to make sure that the violence never gets in the way of the action.  The villains are a bit weak though, since they're both played by actors who really like to ham up stereotypical villainy.  This prevents them from showcasing any really dark traits.
    The comedy relief character is handled very well.  It didn't even occur to me that he was intended to lighten the mood, but he plays the part perfectly.
    I was a little confused about the music choices.  Most of the soundtrack seemed fine, but then there were occasionally pieces that stood out as being out of place.
    Now, the question is if I should see the next two movies.  The first has a 6.7 on IMDB.  The second has a 6.2.  the third has a 5.9.
    I think I like Statham as an action star.  He's a little less talkative than Bruce Willis, and his build is a little more wiry, and less bulked up like Schwarzenegger.
    There are some very fun fight scenes.  Early on, there's a fight between Statham and two guys with axes.  And there's a fantastic fight in a garage, with a whole lot of oil/grease all over everything.  Plus, the movie opens with an excellent car chase, which brought Bourne to mind, even though this one wasn't as serious as that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment