Thursday, November 22, 2012

169 - The Innkeepers

    A pair of hotel employees are working the last weekend that their hotel is open.  There are very few guests, and they use the opportunity to investigate the ghost they think haunts the place.
    Obviously, this is the second time I watched this.  This time, it was on Blu-ray, and I showed it to Cathy.  There were chunks of the movie that I remembered very well, but I was a little surprised that some of the parts completely slipped from my memory.
    It remains very creepy.  And I still really enjoyed the character building between the leads.  I found myself much more engrossed in certain details, and picked up on much more that I missed the first time through.
    In particular, I actually noticed two scenes that gave enough background to establish what the end result of the movie is.  There's much more foreshadowing than I had noticed before.
    I still feel the connections to The Shining.  But the question of the evilness of that hotel is never in question.  In this movie, I realized that it's possible to interpret it as having a non-threatening ghostly atmosphere.
    Anyway, the pacing is still slow, but it never feels like nothing is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment