Saturday, July 11, 2015

104 - Enter the Dangerous Mind (Snap)

    A guy struggles with psychological issues, and eventually his demons get the better of him.
    As I was watching this, I was reminded of the vaguely psychological horror movies made recently.  In particular, 2010’s Maniac.  There’s something a little disappointing about it.  As this story progressed, it kept my attention, but it was mostly because I was trying to piece together what the backstory was supposed to be.
    After looking up some information about it online, I found that there was a negative review that called attention to the problem that the movie perpetuates an idea that the mentally ill are violent.  It’s hard for me to feel like that’s a real problem; these are some insurmountable problems in storytelling.  The character is defined by being mentally ill.  There’s no story if the character doesn’t get violent.
    But at the end of the movie, I felt like this was a valid criticism.  His decent into violence seemed unearned.  His motivators were mostly trivial.  The worst part was the very end.
    After he is killed, his killer acquires a voice in her head, advising her to kill.
    This ending implies that mental illness is communicable, and that violent aspects are a part of it.
    At least there’s one notable thing about the movie.  This is the first time that I’ve seen a dubstep-centric movie.  It’s weird.  It did make me appreciate the ambient characteristics of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment