Sunday, January 11, 2015

2 - Time Lapse

    Three roommates find that a deceased neighbor created a device that takes Polaroid photos of a day into the future.  They start using the device for their own purposes.
    I’m reluctant to say that this is an original story, since I’ve seen the same story told before.  There are at least two Twilight Zone episodes that cover the same ground (A Most Unusual Camera, What’s in the Box) and many other stories using the same premise.  Even as I’ve seen this story so many times, it always feels new and original.  It always feels clever.  I wonder why that is.  It must be a side effect of high-concept stories.
    There are logical problems, particularly with a paradox presented by one of the characters and his primary motivation using the camera.  He sees his paintings in the pictures, then he no longer has to deal with artist’s block, since he knows what to paint.
    Things are wound together pretty well, although it actually moves too fast.  It’s rare that this happens, but I would have liked to see a longer sequence of them sitting back and enjoying the device.  Usually there’s a longer “good times” sequence before complications start to set in.

    The strangest thing that happened as I watched this is that I kept on thinking of Shallow Grave.  It’s a similar story, at least since it has a bunch of roommates who are bonded by their crime, all gradually turning on each other after paranoia sets in.

    There’s one main problem, at least to my ear.  There’s an assumption that the characters make very early on - that they have to make sure that the prediction made in the photo comes to pass.  I understand how the script tried to make their belief make sense, but it seemed like such a strange leap that I couldn’t buy it.
    Still, a good watch, even if I felt like it missed out on being everything it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment