Wednesday, April 25, 2012

65 - Mission: Impossible 3

I've been watching a lot of Mission: Impossible.  I watched the second series, which ran from '88-'89 over two seasons.  I've been watching a bunch of episodes from the original series, and I still have most of those DVDs to get through.

What makes Mission; Impossible work is the core premise.  The team is covert.  They don't make a big splash.  Ideally, they complete their mission without giving any clues that they were involved.

The Mission: Impossible movies are M:I in name only.  They're action movies.  They aren't even really good ones, like the Bourne movies.

I watched the first M:I movie last year, and I was thoroughly disappointed.  That movie has so many problems, and has aged horribly.  I watched the second M:I movie in the theater, but I don't remember anything besides a lot of birds.

So this movie was a pleasant surprise.  It's actually pretty fun.

Cruise's Ethan Hunt has decided to get married.  He's no longer a field agent, but he trains new agents.  He gets pulled out of 'retirement' to go rescue a captured agent.  This leads to him being pulled for another mission, and before you know it, he's being hunted by his own organization (although not his team, they still stick with him.

Since that plot seems pretty similar to the plot of the first movie, be glad that the plot is mostly irrelevant.

The middle third of this movie is the really good part.  The team works together to break into the Vatican, impersonate someone, steal a briefcase, kidnap someone, and fake their death, all without being caught or detected.

Then the last third of the movie moves back to being just an action movie.  Not a bad one, just not a special one.

I absolutely loved Philip Seymour Hoffman as the villain.  He doesn't play aggression that often, but when he does, I believe it.

There was one main complaint I have, and it's that the ending gets wrapped up too fast.  There's nothing to exonerate the heroes, so it comes across as lazy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment