Friday, August 30, 2013

128 - Rubber

    An audience, stationed in the desert, watches as a tire from a junkyard becomes sentient, and attacks as small down, blowing up victim's heads with psychic powers.
    As campy as the summary sounds, this was a really unusual movie.  Reading reviews of the movie is a frustrating experience, because it's a very hard movie to review.  Some people really didn't get it.  Some people are convinced they understood it, but seemed to think that it was lacking in depth.  Some people completely understand it, but that tends to blind us to the weaknesses in there.
    I'm not positive if I completely understand it.  While I'm pretty sure that I understand an overall picture of what the movie was about, I think there were a few sections that I wasn't grasping in the intended way.
    For the most part, the movie is an exploration of how much the audience is willing to suspend disbelief, as well as the relationship between observation, story, the audience, the players… it's a complex mess of ideas.  While I found this approach very enjoyable, and really unpredictable, the movie could still stand to be trimmed a little.  The sequences that intended to give depth to the tire were interesting, but the more they were used, the less interested I became.  I liked little things, like the tire watching Nascar.
    The technical work was remarkable.  I have no sense of exactly how they managed to get the tire to roll in some of the longer shots, particularly at such an even speed.  I can think of one method, but I think it would have shown.  Both the tire, and the movement of the camera feel very smooth, which seems like it would have been very difficult to accomplish.
    I don't know if I could suggest this to many people.  It's really interesting, but it provokes very unusual, and probably unpredictable, reactions.
     I've categorized this as both drama and horror.  I was hesitant to put horror on it, even though there is a fair amount of head-exploding gore.  The dramatic aspects of the movie are much bigger than the horror aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment